Troop 51's
Home Page
Troop Events
Troop 51 FAQ

Boy Scout Troop 51
(Camp Hill, Pennsylvania)
ScoutLander Contact Our Troop Member Login

Troop 51 Frequently Asked Questions

Troop 51 FAQs


General Scouting questions:

What is Boy Scouting about?

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) program includes boys of ages 11 to 18.  The program develops leadership and values through outdoor adventure and weekly meetings.  The true adventure of scouting is experienced during the outdoor activities (monthly campouts and summer camp).

How is the Troop organized?

Troop 51 is a boy-led troop that operates within broad general parameters set by the Troop Committee.  The Patrol Leaders Council (PLC) determines the monthly activities and sets the weekly meeting activities.  Adult leaders provide assistance as required.

How are the Scouts and the troop guided?

The Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster(s) guide the Scouts.  Also, the troop is guided by a board of directors known as the Troop Committee which meets monthly.  Parents may volunteer for the Committee.

What does ‘boy-led’ mean?

Scouting is based on the idea that the Scouts plan the events and follow through on their execution and follow-up.  This teaches organizational and communication skills.

What is the PLC?

The PLC (Patrol Leaders Council) consists of the Senior Patrol Leader, Assistant Senior Patrol Leader, Patrol Leaders, Assistant Patrol Leaders, and elected ‘green bar’ troop positions.  The PLC meets monthly and is guided by the Scoutmaster.

How can Scouts earn merit badges to become Eagle Scouts when there are so many other activities going on?

Scouts have the opportunity at summer camp to earn a number of badges as well as at Merit Badge Colleges which are offered by the local Scout council.  In addition, the troop offers the opportunity at meetings to work on badges as a troop.  Lastly, the troop maintains a list of merit badge counselors who could help Scouts with badges when called on by individual Scouts.

Who is Troop 51’s chartering organization?

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, 2000 Chestnut Street Camp Hill, is the chartering (sponsoring) organization for Troop 51. This is the "home base" for the scout troop activities. Their website is:

Is there a Cub Scout Pack affiliated with Troop 51?

Yes, Cub Scout Pack 51 is a very active Pack and is affiliated with Troop 51. They are also chartered by Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church.  Their website is: Camp Hill Pack 51 .

Can I visit Troop 51?

Yes!  Any Cub Scout, Boy Scout or parent can visit Troop 51.  All we ask is that you contact the Scoutmaster to learn the troop schedule as the troop sometimes meets at alternative locations.

Are uniforms required?

BSA policy strongly recommends uniforms, and Troop 51 follows that direction.  Full Class A uniforms are worn from Labor Day to Memorial Day.  Class B uniforms are worn from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

What do I need to buy for my son?

 Very little is needed to join a scout troop.  The philosophy is to do as much with as little as possible.  A new scout should start with the scout handbook which can be purchased at the New Birth of Freedom Scout Store located on Baden Powell Lane in Mechanicsburg.  The Scout Store can answer any questions regarding uniforms.  Boy Scouts wear a uniform to meetings, outings, and events as indicated.  A full uniform is not initially required but beginning with a scout shirt and building from there is a good idea.  To help with this, the troop has an inventory of previously worn uniform items that can be issued (and returned when they no longer fit).  Please check this prior to purchasing any uniforms.

The troop has extra gear (tents, backpacks, etc.) that can be loaned for specific outings.  Scouts will need the basics, cold weather sleeping bag, mess kit, flashlights, etc.

How often does the troop go on camping trips?

Troop 51 goes on monthly activities that include camping, hiking, biking, rafting, plus much, much, more!  Troop 51 is an active participant in numerous Council and District events. 

Where does Troop 51 go to summer camp?

Troop 51 rotates summer camp attendance with every third year at a New Birth Of Freedom Council camp, Hidden Valley Scout Reservation or Camp Tuckahoe.  The other two years are researched by the Scouts, but generally are within 6 hours driving distance.  This helps keep the adventure in scouting and keeps the boys interested.

Where do the scouts hold meetings?

There is a weekly troop meeting held at the chartering organization which is Trinity Lutheran Church on Chestnut Street in Camp Hill Borough.  The troop meeting is at 7pm Thursday evening

How long do the meetings last?

Troop meetings generally last an hour from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.  Based on the content covered during the meeting, they may last until 8:30.  This information will be published prior to the meeting.

How does the troop decide where to go on camping trips, and how does the troop decide on the subjects for the weekly meetings?

The Scouts through the Patrol Leaders Council (PLC) plan the program of trips and meetings.

How are Scouts and parents kept informed?

Troop 51 maintains a web site and sends a monthly newsletter.  Just as importantly to teach good communication skills for the Scouts, the Patrol Leaders call the Scouts in their patrol to keep the Scouts informed about PLC and troop activities.  Individual Scouts can offer suggestions to their patrol leaders of ideas to bring up at PLC meetings.

Can individual Scouts offer ideas about the troop?

Definitely!  Scouts should pass ideas along to their Patrol Leaders to bring up at PLC meetings, or during discussions at regular troop meetings.  Also, at Boards of Review for rank advancements, Scouts are asked their opinions of what they like about the troop and what they would like to change.

Contact Information:

Who do I call with questions?

Scoutmaster:  Mr. David H. Leeds, Cell: 717-649-5859;

Committee Chair:  Mr. Will Hicks;

New Birth of Freedom Council:  717 766-1591;

Scout Store (Mechanicsburg):  717 795-2703


How can parents help the troop?

Parents can volunteer to be Merit Badge Counselors, prepare newsletter and web site articles, assist as drivers for monthly trips, and join the Troop Committee, assist with fundraising, Courts of Honor organization, Boards of Review, etc.  By everyone volunteering a little, it makes it easier on everyone, and really benefits the Scouts.

How much parental participation is required?

Parents are strongly encouraged to participate in some monthly activities, fundraisers, etc.  It’s the belief that if all parents share in the participation that it will make it easier for all and allow them to enjoy their son’s adventures.  Parents are encouraged to attend a bi-annual parents meeting that provides information on Troop activities, guidelines, and allows the parents to ask questions

Can parents attend monthly activities and Summer camp?

Parents are encouraged to attend all activities.  In fact, two deep adult leadership is critical to the safety of the Scouts.  Parents are reminded that the growth of their son is by learning with his fellow Scouts.

How can I volunteer?

We are always looking for parents to get involved in the troop's administration.  Contact the Committee Chair to find out ways you can participate.